Tuesday, August 11, 2009

August Club Cards - SIP entry

Monday August 10th was another busy day of unpacking. I was wondering if I needed to have my head examined because I had scheduled a club workshop for that night.

Each time my club ladies get together I have several goals I try to incorporate into their 3 projects. These goals are: to teach a basic stamped card (see SIP explanation below), teach a technique, let them use a new or different tool, and create a 6x6 scrapbook page that could alternatively be folded and used as a 3x6 card.

Last spring my up-upline, Patsy Waggoner, had proposed a challenge to her Definitely Diva team. It was to help our new demonstrators with ideas by posting cards that could be made with only things you would get with the starter kit. This month Stampin' Up!s Cofounder and CEO, Shelli Gardner, has posted a SIP creative challenge. It is to create a project with only Stamps, Ink, and Paper. To me that meant the same thing as what Patsy had us do using no embellishments or special tools to create the card or project using only things you would get with the starter kit therefore no brads, no ribbon, no punches, and no Big Shot die cuts. It calls for us demonstrators to get back to the basics and show cards and projects that beginner stampers can say "I could do that!" But at the same time show more experienced stampers how they can easily step up their creations. So with all that being said, here's my card, I believe it meets the criteria for the soshelli creative challenge perfectly:

Stampset: Eastern Blooms, Sincere Salutations
Ink: Cameo Coral, Chocolate Chip
Paper: Whisper White, Cameo Coral, Chocolate Chip

I love the simple elegance of this card. During the club's make & take, I explained this card could be simply embellished by popping up the cut out flowers and I let them use dimensionals on their cards. (Tip for new demonstrators: as an alternative until you get dimensionals, use little pieces of the leftover rubber from when you assembled your stamps.) The other things that could step up this card would be to put dimensionals under the branch layer and put some brads in the various flowers. Also you could tie a small knot in some ribbon and use a glue dot to attach it to the branch.

-----oOo-----

The second card of the night was a case of Kris Sanders convention swap. I had planned to order the butterfly punch, but when I got home from convention and opened my shipment it was AWOL (opps I had it on a different order yet to be submitted) and the ladies had to cut out their butterflies. They had some hands on time to use Big Shot to emboss their whisper white layer and they learned how to use the Stamp-a-ma-jig.


Stampset: Flight of the Butterfly
Ink: Bermuda Bay, Basic Black
Paper: Whisper White, Bermuda Bay, Basic Black
Accessories: Stamp-a-ma-jig, Basic Black Marker,
Elegant Bouquet Embossing Folder



-----oOo-----

The last project for the evening was a 6x6 scrapbook layout. I miss the Raspberry Tart DSP that I designed my 3-D punch flower for, however I realized that Tea Party is another DSP design that coordinates with my flower. Yeah!

This was a quick project with a couple cranks on the Big Shot, some punching, folding of the flowers, sponging, and careful snailing - voila they had a 6x6 scrapbook page.

Snailing Tip: To use this layout as a scrapbook page, you need to attach the flower and sentiment to only the DSP strip. And the strip should only be attached on the outside edges so that a vertical 6x4 picture can be slide behind the DSP paper strip.



Stampset: Great Friend
Ink: Old Olive, So Saffron
Paper: Whisper White, Old Olive,
DSP Tea Party, Almost Amethyst
Punches: Curly Label, 5 Petal, Trio Flowers
Accessories: So Saffron Grosgrain Ribbon,
Sponge Daubers, Sweetest Stem Embosslit die

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Thank you for leaving a comment.