Tuesday, August 11, 2009

TURTLE CARD - Sharing projects at convention

On July 28th Stampin' Up! announced: We want you to share your best work at the Marketing Resource Center at Convention 2009. We'll display samples related to the topics listed below at the event, plus there is a chance that your samples may be shown in Stampers' Showcase in the coming months!



Kid Campaign: Make workshop demonstratable projects for kids--or for the kid in you.
Holiday Extravaganza: Make holiday workshop projects.
Sizzix Big Shot Pop-Up dies: Make projects using any of our pop-up dies.
And don't forget to try out our Look Here Bigz XL die!
Sizzix Big Shot Movers & Shapers dies: Show off your skills with our Movers & Shapers dies.
However I wasn't home and didn't have access to the internet. I was busy dodging frosting and cake samples that were flying through the air (see my Sponge Bob post).
-------------------------------------------
Sunday August 2nd:
You know how much work there is to do when you get home and you've been gone for a week: unload the cooler, make out a grocery list, unpack stuff, put away stuff, wash clothes, go get groceries, so on and so on. Such was my activities when I got home on Sunday August 2 and Monday.
Monday August 3rd:
I read the above announcement. My thought was "It would be a miracle if I made a pop-up ball card to be displayed especially since I'd NEVER done one before." The day flew by, between appointments and errands I tried washing clothes, but our dryer is wired to off-peak power and it was being controlled; I couldn't dry any of already wet loads that were already washed. That evening my hubby took me out to supper for my birthday. I was sooooo excited about going to Stampin' Up!s convention, I couldn't get to sleep Monday night, partly thinking of the things I still had to do and I kept wishing I could think of a card worthy to be displayed at convention. I was all excited and my imagination was really working overtime. I think the last time I looked at the clock it was 5 am.

Tuesday August 4th:
YEAH! My dryer was working - WooWho! and I only had 2 more loads to dry and then hubby and I would have the "essentials" to make it through the week. My clothes were in piles everywhere, I was unpacking from the last week, washing, and trying to re-pack. Dan joked that I should have a "Pilot's" (pile it's) license.



However amid all the chaos, all I could do was think about the dream I had about a double pop-up card. The front had trees that wiggled and a beach with Minnesota stamped on the bottom, then the inside had a beach ball with moving water and a turtle sitting in the sand with a butterfly on it's back with the saying: "Sand, Water, & Sun, Makes our Summers Fun!"

I shared my dream card and thoughts with my sister demonstrators; I think they were ready to have me committed. Kris was staying with me Tuesday evening and we were leaving at 4 am so we could fly out of Fargo. I don't know who encouraged who, but we worked late into the night/early morning bouncing ideas off each other. We cut out the pieces and then packed them up so we could finish putting the card together in Salt Lake City.

Wednesday August 5th:
Here's the card. We simplified my vision and changed some of the details, but we're happy with the end result.



It was so fun having ladies come and take pictures of our turtle while we filed out the information to put on the back of the card.

Tip: This was our first attempt at making a pop-up ball card; we would recommend using larger rubber bands and doing a double layer of card stock for the top hexagon.


Here is our card on display at convention. YEAH!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, did you ever share the directions to make the turtle from your awesome card? I would LOVE them :)
    Sandy@ turtlelover@firehousemail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly we never wrote up directions or made another turtle. It's been 2 1/2 years since making that little guy, but I think this is what we did:
    We scored the sides of the bottom pop-up (in half?) and glued them down so it didn't stand so tall.
    Stamp set= on his back was from (something)...Beautiful, however I think you could substitute it with the current Circle Circus stamps.
    Feet= 2 Modern Label punches cut in half
    Eyes= Word Window punch, slit punch (retired)
    Head= Large Oval and 1 1/4" Circle punches (I think)
    Tail= was a sliver from leftovers
    Mouth= Oval punch
    Water= ripped paper sponge edges with white craft
    Sand= I think was Close to Coco sponged with chocolate chip then ripped.

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Thank you for leaving a comment.