Sunday, November 1, 2009

All Saints Day


One of my volunteer jobs is to decorate our church for the various special services and seasons. I replaced the mums in the entry with bumpy/warty pumpkins and decorated the sancturary with white candles and bows. Today we remembered the 20 saints, that passed away this last year,  by reading their names and lighting a candle in their memory during the tolling of the bell. The larger candle in the back represented our family and friends that had passed away previously.





When I was loading all my decorations into the van, I remembered that I had meant to take a picture (from a distance) showing what the table looked like up in the front of the church. Also of all the white bows, awesome banners, and all the other candles on the pillars and in the windows. It looked like the church was ready for a wedding, which was fitting since that's what the readings of text was about.


Between our Sunday worship services there is an adult discussion class. Today it was about the origins and traditions of Halloween. It was so interesting. 


It helped me decide that next year I'm going to use the following poem to top my Trick-or-Treater's cello bags and of course it will have a pumpkin and smile also stamped over it just like this year's (see pic in previous post):


To 
      be 
a Christian 
is like being a pumpkin.
 God picks you from the patch, 
brings you in, and washes all the 
dirt off of  you. Then He cuts off the 
top and scoops out all the yucky stuff. 
He removes the seeds of doubt, hate, 
and greed. Then He carves you a new
smiling face and puts His light inside 
of you to shine for all the world to 
see. From one pumpkin to
another…Shine on!


Isn't that a cool poem?


It reminds me of  Matt. 5:16 which says:  Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Thank you for leaving a comment.